High-level Mountain Trails in the Italian Alps
- Explore Historic Villages of the Italian Alps
- Stunning Mountain Lakes, Forests and Meadow Routes
- Breathtaking Views from High-level Mountain Trails
- Delicious Local Food (Occitane and Italian Cuisine)
- Exceptional Lodging in Picturesque Settings
- Visit Roman and Gothic Churches
Why this walk?
Experience unforgettable scenery each day out among the fresh Alpine air, returning each night to the beautifully preserved villages and the relaxed, welcoming culture of the Italian Alps via the Val Maira. This is a route that links stunningly beautiful historic villages with scenic routes that offer incredible views over the peaks and valleys that give Piedmont their distinctive Alpine character. The Val Maira crosses paths with cavernous lakes, vibrant wildflowers and the architecture and old frescoes that are found among the traditional Italian villages you visit. Here you’ll find well-marked paths, some of which are sections of larger, cross-country paths, taking you through an area that is alive with wildflowers in the springtime, and temperate in the summer months, where the mild mountain air promises a more conducive environment for summer walking than other areas in southern Europe.
This route takes among some of the more secluded, and peaceful of the stunning valleys, lakes and hills of Piedmont, visiting charming, traditional villages – seemingly frozen in time. The sheer variety of landscape you’ll see before you are part of what makes Piedmont such a natural gourmet destination. This is the birthplace of the famous Italian ‘Slow Food’ movement, and the relationship between the people, the land and the way they celebrate the famous wines, cheeses and truffles of the region is testimony to that ethos.
Our Val Maira Itineraries
Walking Val Maira
Distance: 49 miles (78.5km)
ITA-PVM1 ~ Walking Val Maira ~ 7 / 6 classic
6 lunches, 7 dinners
|Two sharing pp||Solo walker||Single person (in a group)|
|01/06/2024 - 10/06/2024||£1,210||£1,865||£1,660|
|11/06/2024 - 15/09/2024||£1,265||£1,950||£1,745|
|16/09/2024 - 05/10/2024||£1,210||£1,865||£1,660|
- 7 nights’ accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis
- 7 dinners
- 6 packed lunches
- Luggage transfers
- Personal transfers where indicated in the programme as a standard arrangement (If you travel by bus to Prazzo Inferiore a short transfer to your first accommodation is also provided).
- Walk Pack, to include Road Book (route notes/mapping) including directions to your accommodation and destination information.
- Access to a Travel APP
- Local map provided at your first accommodation
- City taxes (per person) only payable direct to accommodations –The prices below indicate the total to pay per person, rather than per night. Please consider city tax can vary during the year and new taxes can be introduced (Prazzo 3€, Acceglio 4,50€, Marmora 3€)
- Travel to San Michele di Prazzo/Prazzo Inferiore (nearest bus stop) and from Marmora. Optional transfers to your accommodation (available upon request at time of booking)
You choose which day you would like your holiday to start on. We will book your holiday in accordance with your requirements.
Our Val Maira holidays are available to walk June to October.
Travel arrangements for arrival/departure ~
Nearest airport is Turin (served by both major and low-cost carriers) and Nice (Nizzi)
Turin (TRN) http://www.aeroportoditorino.it/en
You are responsible for booking your air travel to airports and onward travel to your first
accommodation and from your accommodation on departure.
FROM TURIN AIRPORT
- Take the bus from airport to Porta Nuova railway station (main Turin station)
The SADEM bus service between the city centre and Turin Airport has several stops en-route including Porta Nuova railway station.
- Train from Turin to Cuneo (approx. 1 hour 10 minutes)
FROM NICE AIRPORT
- Take the bus from airport to Nice-Ville railway station
A special airport express bus 99 connects both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 with the station twice per hour in 15 minutes.
- Train des Merveilles from Nice-Ville to Cuneo (approx. 3 hours) https://www.tendemerveilles.com/
We would then recommend a taxi transfer from Cuneo to your first accommodation which we would be pleased to pre-book for you. There are only a few direct buses from Cuneo to Prazzo. So you have to take a bus to Dronero (20km) and change here for a bus to Prazzo Inferiore (30km) from where you will be picked up and taken to your first accommodation in San Michele (5km). Transfers available from Cuneo and Dronero.
Train timetables - http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en
Val Maira Client Reviews
4.8/5 based on 1 reviews
Celtic Trails are a professional service - engaging team who helped us navigate through the different options, with a deep knowledge of their offering. Customer service was excellent - informative, friendly, knowledgeable and always prompt.
Nigel, London - June 2022
Booking Request - Val Maira
We will check your details and come back to you within two working days with a personalised estimate based on your requirements. We will then formally request a deposit of £150 per person (£100 per person for a single centre break) and book all your arrangements - find out about our full booking process here.
Please note this does not constitute a booking confirmation, we kindly ask you to refrain from booking any travel until we have confirmed all your arrangements.Still Have Questions?
If you are still unsure on any of your requirements, please do enquire with us first and one of our friendly team will be happy to help you with any queries you have.
Enquire About Val Maira
Our lines are open: 9am to 5pm (GMT), Monday to Friday
Please note: exact accommodation booked will depend on availability.