High-level Mountain Trails in the Italian Alps
- Explore Historic Villages of the Italian Alps
- Stunning Mountain Lakes, Forests and Meadow Routes
- Breathtaking Views from High-level Mountain Trails
- Delicious Local Food (Occitane and Italian Cuisine)
- Exceptional Lodging in Picturesque Settings
- Visit Roman and Gothic Churches
|Duration||7 nights/6 days walking|
|Length||43 to 49 miles|
|Grade||Moderate to Challenging|
|Availability||June - Oct|
Why this walk?
Experience unforgettable scenery each day out among the fresh Alpine air, returning each night to the beautifully preserved villages and the relaxed, welcoming culture of the Italian Alps via the Val Maira. This is a route that links stunningly beautiful historic villages with scenic routes that offer incredible views over the peaks and valleys that give Piedmont their distinctive Alpine character. The Val Maira crosses paths with cavernous lakes, vibrant wildflowers and the architecture and old frescoes that are found among the traditional Italian villages you visit. Here you’ll find well-marked paths, some of which are sections of larger, cross-country paths, taking you through an area that is alive with wildflowers in the springtime, and temperate in the summer months, where the mild mountain air promises a more conducive environment for summer walking than other areas in southern Europe.