Exploring Europe’s wildest reaches: The mountains and canyons of Montenegro and Bay of Kotor
- Walk through some of Europe’s most stunning national parks
- Journey through awe-inspiring mountain passes and deep gorges
- Spectacular train ride above canyons to Podgorica
- Experience traditional Montenegrin hospitality, culture and cuisine
- World Heritage Bay of Kotor and Tara Canyon
- Experience a variety of dramatic landscapes, from bays to mountains
Why walk in Montenegro
If you love being rewarded with a dramatic vista at every turn, this is the walk for you. Our trip through Montenegro will take you to the most iconic beauty spots, as well as lesser-known trails and historic villages. The mountainous interior abounds in expansive viewpoints, with paths following canyons and rocky outcrops – a stark contrast to the blue expanse of the Adriatic cutting into the country’s jagged coastline. Each night you’ll return to some of the region’s sleepy mountain villages or historic centres – an ideal place to soak up the local culture and lifestyle, such as in Kotor’s main square. In a region known for its fine weather, you’ll be able to step out into the sunshine during the dimmer UK months for a spell of invigorating walking in the pine-scented mountain air of the Montenegrin countryside.
Overview of the walking route
You’ll start with a choice of walks in Durmitor National Park, offering you a variety of difficulties as a warm up to the start of your holiday. After that, you will explore the mountainous interior of the country including the celebrated Tara Canyon, the second deepest gorge after the Grand Canyon, and Montenegro’s mountain lakes teeming with wildlife. The itinerary includes some of the country’s most stunning peaks. The trip will then take you to the scenic Bay of Kotor, where through exploring old forts and historic villages, all perched above glittering bays and inlets, you will come into close quarters with the varied and often dramatic history of the region. Your holiday will come to a close in the historic town of Kotor itself.
Our Accommodation choices
The accommodation we have handpicked for this trip will allow you to experience famed Balkan hospitality, including rustic B&Bs and staying with local families, who will also provide you with an opportunity to taste traditional Montenegrin cuisine. You will also be staying in a traditional village hut for an evening, letting you truly immerse yourself in the atmosphere and customs of the country. Montenegro’s medieval hamlets and old towns will provide a stunning backdrop to an evening spent at leisure after a day out walking, where the local taverns, bars and restaurants spring into life, serving specialities of the area. In Kotor, accommodation is less rural, but no less welcoming, with hotels and B&Bs often converted from the existing Venetian houses of the area.
Our Dramatic Vistas of Montenegro’s Coast & Country Itineraries
Zabljak to Stoliv
Distance: 43 miles (69km)
MNT-NPC1 ~ Zabljak to Stoliv ~ 7 / 6 classic
|Two sharing pp||Solo walker||Single person (in a group)|
|20/05/2024 - 15/06/2024||£1,100||£1,535||£1,325|
|16/06/2024 - 15/09/2024||£1,225||£1,660||£1,450|
|16/09/2024 - 20/10/2024||£1,100||£1,535||£1,325|
- 7 nights’ accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis (5 nights hotel, 1 night mountain hut, 1 night mountain apartment)
- Luggage transfers
- Personal transfers where indicated in the programme as a standard arrangement
- Train ride from Kolasin to Podgorica (5€ per person payable direct on train - refunded in Podgorica)
- Walk Pack, to include Road Book (route notes and maps)
- GPX Tracks
- Information Meeting on Day 1 (Arrival Day)
- Transfers not mentioned in the standard itinerary
- Packed lunches (own arrangements)
- Evening meals (own arrangements). Available in local restaurant or in-house.
- Travel to Zabljak/from Kotor
- Packed lunches can be pre-booked if requested (please request at time of booking).
- A guided tour of Cetinje can be provided if requested (please request at time of booking).
- Airport transfers
You choose which day you would like your holiday to start on. We will book your holiday in accordance with your requirements.
Our Dramatic Vistas of Montenegro’s Coast & Country holidays are available to walk May to October.
Nearest airports are located at:
Dubrovnik - https://www.airport-dubrovnik.hr/en
Booking Request - Dramatic Vistas of Montenegro’s Coast & Country
We will check your details and come back to you within two working days with a personalised estimate based on your requirements. We will then formally request a deposit of £150 per person (£100 per person for a single centre break) and book all your arrangements - find out about our full booking process here.
Please note this does not constitute a booking confirmation, we kindly ask you to refrain from booking any travel until we have confirmed all your arrangements.Still Have Questions?
If you are still unsure on any of your requirements, please do enquire with us first and one of our friendly team will be happy to help you with any queries you have.
Enquire About Dramatic Vistas of Montenegro’s Coast & Country
Our lines are open: 9am to 5pm (GMT), Monday to Friday
Please note: exact accommodation booked will depend on availability.