Puglia Walking Holidays in Authentic Italy
Explore a truly wild and unspoilt slice of Italy’s unabashedly beautiful coastline, a region that figures in Italian culture as one of the last bastions of a lifestyle and natural landscape lost to modernity. Ancient Greek, Roman and Turkish masterpieces of architecture are found alongside the rugged coastal paths and old shepherd paths that lead around the shoreline, paths or sentieri that link the beautiful, sun-soaked fishing ports and villages of the province.
- Hike the ‘Sentiero delle Cipolliane Grotte’, a picturesque walking route named after the famous caves found along the coastline
- Stumble upon relics from all ages on your route, testament to a history of competing cultures and ideas
- A myriad of fantastic swimming spots in the seaside coves and fresh water springs found along your route
- Follow traditional traturri routes (formerly used only by shepherds and locals) to some of the region’s most pristine, naturally beautiful areas
- Extend your walking holiday with one night in the Trulli region, staying in the whitewashed stone town of Alberobello – a UNESCO world heritage site
- Observe baroque architecture and history in the city of Lecce, with the Piazza del Dumo, Basilica di Santa Croce and sunken Roman amphitheater
|Duration||7 nights/6 days walking|
|Length||45 mi (72 km)|
|Availability||Mar - Jul Sept - Oct|
Why this Walk?
Hiking Puglia offers the opportunity to discover this unspoilt Italian region on foot, as well as a chance to find yourself in an ideal place to simply watch the world go by. Puglia’s ascendancy from Italy’s best kept-secret to a hotspot for Italophiles is a very recent development, but less obvious is the region’s wealth of national parks, nature reserves and miles of awe-inspiring rugged coastline. A walking holiday is the perfect way to see a side of Puglia often overlooked, following trails that originated as shepherd paths and trading links between villages. It’s a pursuit very much in keeping with the ideals and aims of slow travel, as you have time to fully appreciate where you are in the moment, at a pace best suited for taking in the wild and beautiful landscape of Puglia.