Discover Sintra’s Extravagant Culture & Dramatic Atlantic Coast
- Prominent national monuments including the unmissable Palacio de Pena, a beautiful example of Romanticism architecture, idyllic Castelo dos Mouros and the Palacio Nacional
- Captivating and mystical gardens of Quinta da Regaleira
- Beautiful Parque Natural de Sintra with its wild and rugged Atlantic coastline and opportunity to visit the austere Convento dos Capuchos convent
- Cabo da Roca, the most westerly point of mainland Europe
- Bustling coastal town of Cascais
- Savour locally sourced, traditional Portugese cuisine
- High standard, historic accommodations
Why Choose Our Sintra-Cascais Walking Holiday?
Walking the Sintra and Cascais landscape is an open window into the past, following routes designed to explore the area’s foremost historical and cultural sites. Discover Sintra’s fascinating sights in the morning, before joining hiking routes out into the area’s peaceful surrounding woodland and rural landscapes later on in the day. Starting in the vibrant town of Sintra, discover the town’s extravagant palaces, gardens and manor houses, with the latter half of the walking holiday located on the breath-taking Atlantic coastline, reaching Azenhas do Mar and the fisherman’s town of Cascais – just one hour away from Lisbon by public transport.
Exploring the castles, palaces and manor houses of Sintra in the morning, you'll find even, well-defined footpaths around the town's palace grounds and surrounding hillsides. As you make your way out into the more rural areas in the afternoon, you follow a more shaded route, under the canopy of the forest along slightly more rugged dirt trails and woodland paths that lead out of the towns historic centre. A combination of circular walks, and sections that follow the established "Costa Atlántica" make up the coastal sections at the end of the itinerary. These routes that lead out of the hillsides to the coast take you through the Sintra-Cascais National Park, a landscape of vibrant colours, beaches and secluded coves.
The footpaths you follow are well way-marked with some steep ascents/descents, designed to accommodate around 4-5 hours walking each day, allowing ample time to experience the traditionally relaxed Portuguese lifestyle in the communities, towns and villages you stay in.
Our Sintra – Cascais Itineraries
Sintra to Cascais
Distance: 45.5 miles (73km)
POR-SNT1 ~ Sintra to Cascais ~ 7 / 6 classic
|Prices from||Two sharing pp||Solo walker||Single person (in a group)|
|01/01/2021 - 25/03/2021||£710||£1,165||£1,075|
|26/03/2021 - 26/06/2023||£835||£1,370||£1,280|
|27/06/2021 - 30/09/2023||£915||£1,490||£1,400|
|01/10/2021 - 31/10/2023||£845||£1,395||£1,305|
|01/11/2021 - 19/12/2021||£710||£1,165||£1,075|
|20/12/2021 - 31/12/2023||£790||£1,315||£1,235|
- 7 nights' Bed & Breakfast
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers to/from the path (where indicated in the programme)
- A Destination Manual and Road Book (route notes) showing directions to your directions and a local map
- 24-hour back-up
- Extra night in Lisbon
- Airport Transfers
- Packed lunches: can be ordered either from your accommodation, or bought locally each day
- Evening meals: Local Restaurants or in-house at your accommodation
You choose which day you would like your holiday to start on. We will book your holiday in accordance with your requirements.
Our Sintra – Cascais holidays are available to walk January to June, September to December.
The best time to visit Sintra would be Spring and early Autumn. The days are bright and temperate, and the summer crowds have long since decamped. During the high season, the town's historic centre can get quite busy from midday onward, and the heat can make progress that much more difficult.
Travel arrangements for arrival/departure:
You are responsible for booking your travel to Portugal and to your accommodation in Sintra and return from your accommodation in Cascais.
Nearest airport is located in Lisbon https://www.ana.pt/en/lis/home
(taxi transfers can be arranged from/return the airport if required - prices available upon request.).
FROM LISBON AIRPORT to Sintra (public transport)
- Shuttle bus from the airport to Rossio train station in Lisbon city centre. The shuttle runs half-hourly – travel time is approximately 20 minutes.
- Lisbon Rossio Train station – Sintra. Frequent services through the day, travel time is approximately 40 minutes.
TO LISBON AIRPORT from Cascais (public transport)
- Train from Cascais to Cais do Sodre Station. Frequent services through the day, travel time is approximately 40 minutes.
- Lisbon city centre/Cais do Sodre Station to airport. You can take an airport shuttle, use the city metro system or taxi on to the airport.
Sintra – Cascais Client Reviews
5/5 based on 2 reviews
I haven't felt this good in a while - both in body and spirit. The feeling of connection to the land was overwhelming. The people were incredibly warm and friendly. Did I mention the wonderful hospitality and food? A tough choice between Portugal and Tuscany. May yet do Tuscany with this company.
A. Headburg - March 2019
Thoroughly enjoyed the experience - shall book with you again. Thank you.
M. Brown - December 2018
Booking Request - Sintra – Cascais
We will check your details and come back to you within two working days with a personalised estimate based on your requirements. We will then formally request a deposit of £150 per person (£100 per person for a single centre break) and book all your arrangements - find out about our full booking process here.
Please note this does not constitute a booking confirmation, we kindly ask you to refrain from booking any travel until we have confirmed all your arrangements.Still Have Questions?
If you are still unsure on any of your requirements, please do enquire with us first and one of our friendly team will be happy to help you with any queries you have.
Enquire About Sintra – Cascais
Our lines are open: 9am to 5pm (GMT), Monday to Friday
Please note: exact accommodation booked will depend on availability.